Nursing homes are all made differently, and there are elderly patients who have been mistreated in their nursing homes more recently than you can imagine. Many senior patients are given incorrect prescriptions during the day, and they are not aware of the state of their medication. These patients do what they are told when they are given their medication, and this process can be damaging to their health. There are suggestions listed below that will help you gather the information you need for a case against a nursing home.

#1: Talk To Your Loved Ones

You must speak to your loved ones who stay in nursing homes about their medication. You need to know if they are feeling better due to their medication, and you should track any negative side effects they have. All medications have side effects, but documented side effects will help you make your case if someone is being given the wrong prescription. You may learn in your conversations when medications are given, and you will learn if those medications are given with water or food. These are all important points to cover for your case.

#2: Speak To Your Family Doctor

Most elderly patients have a family doctor that they have seen for years. The family doctor is likely to the person who prescribed the medication in the first place, and the family doctor can give you insight into why the medication is needed. The medical staff at the nursing home may not gibe the medication at the right times or for the right reasons. Gathering this information from the family doctor allows you to get a clear perspective on what the medication should do for your loved ones.

#3: Visit During A Prescription Delivery

You should plan to visit your loved ones in the nursing home, but you may prefer to visit when you know your elderly loved one will receive their medication. You can inspect the medication before it is given, and you may have a chance to question the person who is handing out the medication.

#4: Get A Lawyer Involved

You cannot pursue this case on your own. A lawyer must get involved at some point during your case to aid with litigation. Your lawyer may compose one letter to the nursing home requiring them to alter your loved one’s medication before legal action is taken. This is an extremely simple way of dealing with the problem, and your attorney can follow up with this letter on your behalf. Many problems can be solved with just one cease and desist letter.

#5: File Suit

Your lawyer may feel the need to file suit because of the nature of the infractions at the nursing home. The nursing home may not respond to the cease and desist letter, and it is possible that your lawyer may need to file suit to remove your loved one from the nursing home.

Your lawyer will help you calculate the damages you must sue for, and they will find expert witnesses that will help you prove your case in court. A case of improper medication sorting in a nursing home is a dangerous one for all parties involved. Allow your lawyer to compile all the information needed to make your case, let the attorney manage talks for a settlement and ensure that your lawyer gets you the best compensation possible.

#6: Senior Safety

You are doing your best to look out for the safety of your elderly loved ones, and you must ensure that you have spoken with someone who understands the problem. A trained attorney can easily file suit when they have the proper amount of information. Do your own research on the topic before you hire an attorney, and stick with the attorney until you have reached a resolution in your case that you can live with.

Seniors need to be protected when they are languishing in nursing homes. A trained attorney can file suit or settle with the nursing home if initial overtures are rebuffed. Your attorney can help pull a senior out of a nursing home and recover funds paid to a nursing home that provides improper care. Contact the attorneys at Jaklitsch Law Group today to get started on your case!

Jaklitsch Law Group: The Personal Injury Attorneys
Call for a Free Consultation: (301) 627-8700 or 866-586-6079